Translate this page

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Helping Retirement


Helping Retirement[1]

Here is a scenario of a by a man who looked forward to retirement.

I thought it would be fun because I wouldn’t have the hammer hitting the time clock and thinking about what if something happens and you’ll get blamed for it.  Over the years I have worked on the evening shift and that made quite a difference in our family.  I thought it would be nice to be home in the evening.  When I did retire, I had been warned. “ Don’t hit the rocking chair.”  Well you can’t work all you life. I started work early. I thought e could do what we wanted.  Unfortunately things don’t always work out the way you want them to.
Dad had a stroke, so we didn’t do too much.  My friends also started demanding that I cart them around.  They knew that I was available.
We talked about me working two or three days a week. We could use the extra money.  We couldn’t afford a lot of entertainment.  We became very unhappy with our life style. We didn’t have the money to do what we wanted to do.  So, I was more or less disillusioned about that, not heart broken, it just put a damper on things. So I started working again. And Mrs. preferred. She could get her housework done more easily when I wasn’t around the house all the time.”


As I finished this post I heard my wife upstairs vacuuming.   I think I’ll go up and see it there is any way I can help her.  What do you think about the situation described above?



[1]  The Above Scenario was taken from my Retirement Counseling; A Handbook for Gerontology Practitioners Constructed by Virginia  Richardson  ISBN 0-8261-7020-X

No comments:

Post a Comment