Translate this page

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Volunteering In Retirement


Volunteering In Retirement[1]

      While after they turn 65,some people continue to work, with fewer hours, others begin or continue volunteering. “Over a quarter of adults above the age of 55 years in the United States, the majority of them being retired, contribute their time to various community services.”

       “Volunteering in retirement is a two-way street.  Research has shown that older adults who do volunteer work receive increases in all sorts of well being: happiness, life satisfaction, physical health, and longevity.  In fact it has been found that “… The benefits that older adults receive from volunteering is greater than the benefits received by people of other ages, and some speculate it’s because it helps compensate for loss of other roles in their lives”

       I am now 74 years old and for a number of years I have been and Official Volunteer for the Canadian Cancer Society.  I have been helping others since I was a youth. I am the oldest child in the family. Helping others began at an early age and I believe that helping others including my years teaching as a university professor.

         I think I need to more volunteering around our yard.  As summer approaches there are quite a few things that need to be done.



[1]  Some of this material is gathered from “The Journey of Adulthood” Chapter 7 pages 234-235.

No comments:

Post a Comment