Translate this page

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Theories of Aging[i]


Theories of Aging[i]

Three theories are presented in the source shown at the bottom of this post. The first is Disengagement theory of aging which suggests “ In preparation for death elderly people gradually withdraw themselves from the people around them.”  I find this interesting because, for example, I have, over the past couple of years, gradually withdrawn from activity on the board of the LSRS ( Langley Seniors Resource Center) and TALK (Third Age Learning at Kwantlen). Interestingly, many people of my age and older are very active in these organizations.

The second is Activity theory of aging which holds that as we age we are  “-happiest when we stay active and involved in the community.”  This one is interesting because it seems counter to the theory mentioned above.   

Finally, Socioemotional selectivity theory of aging suggests that as we grow older we begin to recognize the our time is shortening and therefore we pay attention to enjoying the “here and now” and value strongly those with whom we have close emotional ties.  For myself, I go with this one.  My wife and I have been together for a long time.   And I have two sons, from my first marriage, whom I meet and walk with downtown  several times a month. And, oh yes, we have little pussycat named Ella who is an active member of our house.

What is your story?






[i] This material was found in a recent purchase entitled THINK PSYCHOLOGY:Second Canadian Edition sold by Pearson Toronto ISBN 978-0-13-282590-0

No comments:

Post a Comment