Translate this page

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Life Goes On


Continuing to Matter After Retirement[i]

         After retirement some of us, especially if we have had professional careers, may find ourselves longing for the power and/or prestige related our previous employment.  In short, we need to be noticed. For me as a former university professor, it was a question of prestige more than power.  Standing in front of the class lecturing or facilitating discussion groups is both challenging and exciting.  And, having someone I meet on the street say “Hi professor Anderson” is very pleasing.
         The question is will my former successes get in the way of my retirement adjustment. Will I be able to let go of my previous expectations?  It is now a year since I retired and I have recently signed on as a substitute instructor at Kwantlen. Since last September I’ve been called a couple of times to substitute for someone who couldn’t make it. It was really interesting to be a guest speaker in the classroom and only having to teach one class
         The creation and presentation of my blog and workshops have been a way of adjusting to a new life. I will still be on centre stage as I facilitate the workshops and I have had visitors to my blog from all over the world.  These new experiences will help me to reflect on my life and perhaps develop some wisdom about my life process.  Even now I reflect on the life I have left, what skills I will be able to bring to the community and appropriate goals till the end. 
         I developed my first university goals during my last year of high school when I decided to go to university and continue playing football.  After achieving my undergraduate degree I went on to get my Masters and Ph.d degrees. Some of my football co-players at the University Tommy Larscheid and Merlin Olsen expanded their sports goals from university and became famous as athletic professionals. I followed the goal of becoming a university professor.  For the last ten years I’ve been on the Board of the local senior’s centre and now I’ve created this blog. Each of us has a unique story that continues after we retire.  I would like to hear about some of yours. 


[i]  Key ideas for this blog entry taken from:  Revitalizing Retirement by Nancy Schlossberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment