Translate this page

Saturday, April 14, 2012

 Ageism Humor
         Yongjie Yon and I gathered this material in the fall of 2009. A search of my web entries will lead you to the data that we found on a number of issues including humour.  On a broader step, Erdman Palmore has analyzed ageist joke material.[i]   I have produced a number of ageism blog entries and people around the world have examined them.  The following material was analyzed from data regarding Ageist jokes on birthday cards
         At least 73% respondents to our project reported that they had been told a joke that makes fun of old people.   Fewer people (53%) reported being given ageist birthday cards
      i.         When age is being taken into account, the percentage reporting being told jokes became progressively less, as people got older. The significance level by age is high (p <.001).  Like jokes those who are younger receive more ageist cards and the frequency decreases with age.
    ii.         Those who are married are more likely to be told jokes and receive birthday cards that make fun of age.  There are no significant differences. base on gender.
   iii.         Closeness of family members, 50% or less, increases the likelihood of being told an ageist joke, but not receiving an ageist birthday card.
  iv.         Those who attend church are significantly less likely (p.< .05) to be told ageist jokes but there is no difference in receiving ageist birthday cards
    v.         Those who are always satisfied with the government, both provincial and civic governments are both less likely to be told ageist jokes or receive ageist birthday cards.,

Ageist Joke Samples
Hard of Hearing
Three retirees , each with a hearing loss, were taking a walk on a fine April day;
One remarked to the others “Windy ain’t  it?
“No,” the second man replied, “its Thursday
And the third man chimed in, “So am I let’s have a coke.”

New Hearing Aid

An elderly gentleman has had serious hearing problem for a number of years.
He went to the doctor and the doctor was able to have him fitter for a set of   hearing aids that allowed the gentleman to hear 100%
The elderly gentleman went back in a month to the doctor and the doctor said “Your hearing is perfect. Your family must be really pleased that you can hear again.”
To which the gentleman said, “ Oh, I haven’t told my family yet. I just sit around and listen to the conversations.  I’ve changed my will three times.

Good & bad news
An old man visits his doctor and after a thought examination the doctor tell him: “I have good news and bad news, what would you like to hear first?
Patient: Well, give me the bad news first.”
Doctor:  You have cancer, I estimate that you have about two years left.”
Patient: OH NO! That’s awful!  In two years my life will be over! What kind of good news could you probably tell me, after this?
Doctor: You also have Alzheimer’s. In about three months you are going to forget everything I told you.

I seldom get comments to my blog entries, but I would am very interested in what you think about this material,



[i]  E.B. Palmore (1990)  Ageism positive and negative. Springer Publishing Company, New York, N.Y. ISBN 0-8261-7000-5

No comments:

Post a Comment