Translate this page

Friday, December 2, 2011

A TURN IN THE ROAD


         I have posted more than 100 blog entries since I began the blog Retirement: Third Age New Beginnings.  In the beginning I needed a lot more understanding of how to access and reply to Comments.   For the last 5 months that has not been a problem.  I was able to change process,
         It’s wonderful to read how many people from all over the world have been reading my blog entries.  But few people to take the time to make comments.   It’s like communicating in a pitch-black room.
         While I was still teaching at Kwantlen, I enjoyed very much interaction with persons taking my Aging Class.  Most teachers do not like to drone on without feedback.  From now on if you post a comment I will reply. 
         Surging around this morning on my computer files I came upon a number of short aging scenarios.  I used them in class to facilitate discussions, giving those taking the class the opportunity to express their ideas about the topic.  I am going to do that on my blog and see if I can generate discussion and get some feed back.
         Here is the first one:  

            Bill had looked forward to retirement for the last five years.  Six months age the long awaited day finally arrived, complete with a party and farewell speeches.  For a while he was happy with his newfound freedom.  He could sleep in, and didn’t have to deal with, company meetings and the constant pressure of the large mining company that had dominated his life for the last 33 years.   Lately though, everything had changed.  His wife Betty, who had retired three years earlier was anxious to start their journey in their mobile home which had been parked in the yard for a couple of years.  Trivial arguments between them seemed to have become the norm.  Somehow he missed the hustle and bustle of his old job.  No one came to him for decisions anymore.  They were both worried about being able to exist on fixed incomes.  His body seemed to hurt in new places.  He felt isolated, alone and rudderless.   Their neighbors envied the couples leisure.  But that didn’t matter. He has come to you for advice.  What would you advise?

           
I eagerly await your comments

No comments:

Post a Comment