Translate this page

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Retirement Travel


     Travel is the second most common leisure activity reported by many retirees.  Retirement can provide us with an opportunity for personal growth through expanded leisure activity beyond fishing and playing golf. It can also help us develop new senses of identity without interference of routassociated with our work roles.
         Travel as a retirement transition activity can takes us away from both interactions with co-workers and home settings with family obligations. I have some close friends who, after retiring six years ago purchased an RV soon after retirement. They are still enjoying travel to many places in the United States and Canada. 
         Several years ago I received a grant to present my ageism research at a conference in Barcelona Spain. My wife was able to accompany me. After flying across the Atlantic Ocean, we landed in Paris and stayed there for several days. While we were there we visited the Eiffel tower and the Arc De Triomph. We then went on to Barcelona Spain where the conference was being held. While there we went to the Picasso Art Gallery. These are things I will never forget. If I had the money,I would travel to many places in the world. But that is not to be.
         Besides financial limitations some other specific things that may get in the way of retirement travel are; gas prices, family duties, personal health, and pets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment