Translate this page

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Questions

I am about ready to retire, 9 months to go. I am challenged to reconsider some very important things in my life. I think I have found a path for my "Third Age."  For so long I have been Professor Anderson, a journey that began in my second year of university when I ask my psychology professor; "What do I have to do, to do what you are doing?"  I was 19 and that was 51 years ago.


I was almost forced to retire five years ago when mandatory retirement was still in effect in BC. With the help of the Faculty Association, I resisted and became "special part-time regular".  I was still working, but only part time and my salary was cut in half.  Still I have come to see these past years as a type of bridge to the third stage of my life. As I prepare to present my retirement workshops, I ask;  "Is this really the right time for the transition?"

Now, I need to examine my strengths and weaknesses and explore my options carefully. I know that I still struggle for perfection, sometimes getting closer sometimes not.  I want this workshop to be good as possible so that both those who have already retired and those who have yet to retire can make the best decisions given their own strengths and skills.

One process I am developing to aid me in my goals is meditation. For this I thank Yongjie Yon, a close friend, who is now working at the National level to fight elder abuse. Finally, I must remember that we are all social animals and that none of us can survive by ourselves no matter how much money we have.  Our social relations are even more important than money.

What do you think?

Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment